Thursday, July 30, 2009

When did she get to be so old???


Ho-lee crap! I've been suffering from a migraine since Saturday, so have been absent from bloglandia for the most part. I decided it was high time I checked in with my ophthalmologist. It's been a couple years since I had my eyes examined, and I noticed that my eyes have deteriorated in the last year or so. Both distance and *gasp* closeup.

History lesson: In 2000, I had Lasik surgery. Twice. Because my vision and astigmatism were both so bad, I needed two surgeries to correct it. I'd worn glasses since I was 7, contacts since 11. My vision was so bad that Bob and his roommate in the dorms used to take my glasses and I'd yell "Where are my glasses, damn it?!" And they'd be right there on his face. Assholes.

Anyway, bottom line is, when I got Lasik surgery, and woke up the next morning and could see the clock, it was like a miracle. The Heavens opened up and I saw the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Heavenly harp-like music played. Seriously. Un. Be. Lievable.

So it's been almost 10 years. They told me my eyes might deteriorate, but they'd deteriorate from 20/20. Fair enough. I got 10 years out of my surgery. Given how expensive my glasses and contacts were, plus the boost to my self-esteem, the 2 surgeries more than paid for themselves. They also told me that when I turned 40, I'd need to go out and buy reading glasses. I've cheated them out of 3 years. Woohoo! What I didn't expect was that after 10 years, both the deterioration in my distance vision and my close-up vision would hit at once, and I'd be looking at... bifocals. *cue horror movie music*

Ho-lee CRAP! That is serious old age territory. My grandparents wore bifocals. Hell, my mother wears bifocals. Damn it - I'm too young for this!!!

Thank heavens that they now have progressive lenses. I don't have to have that horrid line in my glasses that screams out to everyone... OLD LADY GLASSES!!

All I can say is, this damn well better help with the headaches.



So... what's new with you?

7 People Gabbed:

Blanche said...

LOL Lori!!

I'm fighting it but I think when I go for my appointment in December I will be getting my first ever reading glasses (I'm 47). I'm getting lots of headaches and my eyes hurt and it is getting harder to read!!

Beth Gray said...

I understand, I wear glasses to read. I have an exercise program for my eyes to strengthen them also. But, I know it is only a matter of time before the eyes will show signs of reading all of the time.
Beth Gray
www.bethgray.us

Carolyn Crane said...

That is so cool that that lasik surgery gave you such a great result. I can only imagine!

I wouldn't worry about the rapid decline - it seems normal from others I've talked to. I've had 20/20 all my life, and I'm almost exactly your age, and right now my eyes are on a huge downslide! I've used readers for a couple years, but I think I need even stronger ones, plus for long distance. Sometimes I just wear my readers all the time because it helps with my overall vision. Prolly should go to the eye doc!

Great news that bifocals don't have that line anymore. Yay.

Leah Braemel said...

Well, gee, now I'm rethinking giving you that book you won. Reading it might be too hard on your poor old eyes.

*snort* I've been wearing TRIfocals since I was 40. This last pair they couldn't get the middle distance right (after spending nearly $600 bucks for the glasses) and I ended up spending another $450 for a pair to use at the computer. That was in September and I think I need a new pair already.

Oops, I think I was supposed to be cheering you up, wasn't I? Anyway, as CJ said, unfortunately, it's normal. Welcome to old age, my dear. (Or as the card my mother sent to me for my birthday last week - don't think of it as being old, think of it has having achieved the pinnacle of success. To which I wanted to add, "yeah, and it's all downhill from here, isn't it?" Hmm, still not cheering you up, am I?

Lori said...

Actually, CJ, the decline has been really gradual over the ladt few years for my distance vision, anyway. But boy, my reading vision went downhill just like that! Sheesh! But I suppose I should be happy since I got 3 extra years more than I was told I would .

And Leah, you are such a stinker. I don't recall teasing you even once this whole month! HA! Just wait, LOL.

I can't believe how expensive glasses have gotten! By the time I got the progressive lenses, the special coating, blah blah blah, it was $500! Thankfully we're doubly insured and I ended up only paying $90 out of pocket. And our insurance covers a 2nd pair so I can even get a pair of sunglasses. I'm quite fortunate.

nath said...

Forget about how they look and think at how much better you'll feel!! :) You'll have to show us!!

Ugh, I love wearing glasses, but I hate buying them. So expensive!! :(

Rosie said...

I love reading your posts because you capture moments so well. I wasn't so freaked when I needed glasses, but when they told me I needed bifocals I was stunned. Can't wait to see the new lenses and sunglasses.

I really miss shopping for sunglasses...different pairs for different outfits and all that. When you have a prescription you have to weigh out vanity against being able to see as the ever practical Nath pointed out.